We are now accepting pitches and submissions from writers wanting specifically to work with Kill Your Darlings' First Nations Editors-in-Residence, Nadia Johansen and Bianca Valentino
Please note this portal is exclusively open to Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander writers. For other writing opportunities, please visit our website.
What we're looking for:
- Intelligent and accessible Essay/Commentary (1000–2000 words) that analyses a cultural, political or societal issue of interest to KYD's progressive and engaged readership. Longer, investigative feature essays (2000–3000 words) will also be considered.
- Memoir or personal essay (1000–1500 words) that reflects on or tells us something broader about society, identity and/or culture.
- Smart, entertaining Cultural criticism (1000–1500 words) that illuminates or engages with works and trends in art, literature or pop culture.
- Work that doesn't quite fit within the above categories but you think would be a good fit for us!
Nadia Johansen is looking for work that subverts the marginalising stories told about Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people; for example writing about blak queer joy and mischievous blak body liberation. Nadia is also interested in pieces that explore how different forms and genre affect storytelling, and how storytelling shapes how we see ourselves and our futures.
Bianca Valentino is interested in First Nations stories, observations and experiences within creative arts spaces, new voices, feel-good pieces. She is also interested in sovereign creatives making their own path outside of traditional industry systems, their triumphs over adversity, and the challenges facing Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander creatives to be seen in a colonised world.
Who we're looking for:
- Kill Your Darlings is proud to publish writers at varying stages of their careers, from new and emerging voices to established and well-known writers. We encourage pitches from previously unpublished writers, as well as writers from rural and regional areas.
- We recommend becoming familiar with Kill Your Darlings' tone and style before pitching or submitting.
- A KYD Membership is not required for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander writers submitting to this portal. If you would like to subscribe, click here.
Your pitch should include a relevant biography, a short description of the proposed article, length, and why it makes a good fit for KYD. Check out our tips on pitching for more on how to craft a strong pitch. Completed works will be considered in addition to a strong pitch.
Kill Your Darlings pays all contributors. Our minimum payment is $400 for an article of 1000-1500 words.
Please note: Unfortunately publication slots are very limited, and we cannot accept all the work we would like to. We endeavour to respond to pitches within 1 month of submission, though can sometimes take longer at certain busy times of the year. If your pitch is relevant to a specific date, please let us know. You are welcome to submit to multiple publications (if you are successful elsewhere, please withdraw your submission from KYD).
If we would like to publish your submission but do not have capacity to do so with either of the First Nations Editor-in-Residence, we may contact you to discuss the option of working with another KYD editor.