- To enter you must be an Australian resident.
- To enter you must have a current Kill Your Darlings Membership at time of submission. To become a member, please click here. (Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander writers are invited to enter without a membership.)
- You must be 18 years of age or over at time of submission.
- Submissions close at 11:59pm (AEDT) Sunday 10 November 2019. Entries submitted after the closing date will not be considered.
- Entries must be submitted using this Submittable portal. Submitting requires a free Submittable account – this is separate from the account associated with your KYD Membership. Entries submitted by email (unless in exceptional circumstances and with prior permission from Kill Your Darlings) will not be considered.
Entries must comprise the following three sections:
— Section 1: A description of your interest, knowledge and/or involvement within your proposed category, an explanation of how your work as New Critic will further critical understanding of your proposed category, and of how the Award would benefit your career as a writer and critic. (max. 400 words)
— Section 2: Two pitches/short outlines (max. 200 words each) for suggested pieces of criticism that you would write for Kill Your Darlings in your role as New Critic. (Tips on crafting a strong pitch can be found here.)
— Section 3: A one-page maximum overview of your relevant previous writing experience. This may include links to a maximum of two pieces of published writing you feel represent your tone and voice (these do not necessarily need to be works of criticism, though it is encouraged). If you have had no work published or available online, these links can also be to a PDF file of your work hosted via Dropbox or Google Drive (please ensure access is granted to view these files).
- Entries must be submitted as one single PDF, set up as an A4 double-spaced document in 12 pt Times New Roman (or equivalent) font with 3cm margins and page numbers on each page.
- Only one entry per person will be accepted.
- The decision of the judges is final. The judges will not enter into any correspondence and no individual feedback will be provided to entrants.
- By submitting your entry you agree to the Award Terms & Conditions, available here.