The KYD Regional Victorian Writers Program is open to writers living in regional Victoria. Submissions are now open for commentary, essays, memoir and fiction to be published online in Kill Your Darlings magazine.
KYD and Writers Victoria define regional Victorian writers as those who live more than 50km from the Melbourne GPO.
Who we're looking for:
- Kill Your Darlings is proud to publish writers at varying stages of their careers, from new and emerging voices to established and well-known writers. We encourage pitches from writers from diverse backgrounds and at all levels of experience. We're especially keen to hear from Indigenous and CALD writers.
- We strongly recommend becoming familiar with Kill Your Darlings' tone and style before pitching or submitting.
- Note: Due to editorial capacity, at present KYD is not seeking submissions on or responding to the coronavirus crisis.
What we're looking for:
- Essay/Commentary (1000–2000 words) that analyses a cultural, political or societal issue, particularly one that readers may not understand the nuances or implications of. Longer, investigative feature essays (2000–3000 words) will also be considered.
- Memoir or personal essay (1000–1500 words) that reflects or engages with any aspect of life, identity and culture.
- Cultural criticism (1000–1500 words) that engages or illuminates a piece of culture, particularly one that has wider ramifications for society or reflects broader trends.
- Fiction (2000-4000 words) of any genre.
- Work that doesn't quite fit within the above categories but you think would be a good fit for us!
If your piece is essay/commentary, memoir, personal essay or cultural criticism, your pitch should include a relevant biography, a short description of the proposed article, length, and why it makes a good fit for KYD. (Further tips on crafting a strong pitch can be found here.) If your piece is fiction then please send us a completed piece.
Kill Your Darlings pays all of its contributors.
Please note: Unfortunately publication slots are very limited, and we cannot accept all the work we would like to. We endeavour to respond to pitches within 1 month of submission, though can sometimes take longer at certain busy times of the year. If your pitch is relevant to a specific date, please let us know. You are welcome to submit to multiple publications (if you are successful elsewhere, please withdraw your submission from KYD).