Kill Your Darlings publishes commentary, essays, memoir, reviews and interviews online, with a particular interest in writing on culture, politics and society with a personal, accessible approach.
If you’d like to pitch to KYD we strongly recommend that you read our content first to familiarise yourself with our tone and style.
Kill Your Darlings is proud to publish writers at varying stages of their careers, from new and emerging voices to established and well-known writers. We encourage writers from diverse backgrounds and at all levels of experience to pitch and submit to us. We’ve put together a list of tips on pitching to help you put your best pitch forward.
Kill Your Darlings pays all contributors. Our minimum standard pay rate is $400 for an article of approx. 1500 words, and $100 for a book review of approx. 400 words.
Active submission portals will appear below. For upcoming projects and submission dates, visit our Write For KYD page.
Please note that Submittable, where we accept pitches and submissions, is a separate platform to the KYD website, so you’ll need to create a new account here and cannot use your KYD login details.
Kill Your Darlings is now accepting unsolicited submissions to our sixth anthology of new short fiction, due to be published in September 2024. All genres will be considered. We strongly recommend all prospective KYD contributors acquaint themselves with the 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022 and 2023 editions of New Australian Fiction to attain familiarity with the tone and style of fiction we publish. We encourage writers from diverse backgrounds and all levels of experience to submit to this collection. Please follow these guidelines on submission:
- Submissions should be in PDF format, size 12, double spaced, Times New Roman font.
- Do not include your name on the PDF. We will be conducting anonymous submission readings.
- Stories must be between 2000–6000 words.
- Stories, or substantial portions of these stories, must be previously unpublished.
- Only one submitted story per person will be considered.
- Include a short cover letter with relevant biography (no more than 50 words).
- You must be a KYD member to be considered. Memberships start from $49.95. (Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander writers are invited to submit without the need for a KYD Membership.)
Kill Your Darlings pays all of its contributors. All writers will be notified of the outcome of their submission in May 2024. Successful writers will be expected to undergo editing with KYD staff. Due to the expected volume of submissions, we will not be able to provide feedback on unsuccessful works.
Submissions close at 11:59pm (AEST) on 7 April 2024.
Please note that Submittable is a separate platform to the KYD website, so you’ll need to create a new account to submit and cannot use your KYD login details. For more information, please contact email@example.com.
We accept submissions for commentary, essays, memoir, reviews and interviews to be published online in Kill Your Darlings magazine.
What we're looking for:
- Intelligent and accessible Essay/Commentary (1000–2000 words) that analyses a cultural, political or societal issue of interest to KYD's progressive and engaged readership. Longer, investigative feature essays (2000–3000 words) will also be considered.
- Memoir or personal essay (1200–1500 words) that reflects on or tells us something broader about society, identity and/or culture.
- Smart, entertaining Cultural criticism (1200–1500 words) that illuminates or engages with works and trends in art, literature or pop culture.
- Work that doesn't quite fit within the above categories but you think would be a good fit for us!
- We always encourage feel-good or funny pitches (to give us a break from the news)!
Who we're looking for:
- Kill Your Darlings is proud to publish writers at varying stages of their careers, from new and emerging voices to established and well-known writers. We’re especially keen to hear from people from diverse and/or marginalised backgrounds, as well as writers from rural and regional areas.
- We strongly recommend becoming familiar with Kill Your Darlings' tone and style before pitching or submitting.
- Only pitches from current KYD Members will be accepted*. To become a member, visit our Shop.
- * Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander writers are invited to submit pitches without the need for a KYD Membership. Please indicate in your submission if this applies to you.
Your pitch should include a relevant biography, a short description of the proposed article, length, and why it makes a good fit for KYD. Check out our tips on pitching for more on how to craft a strong pitch. Attached files will only be considered in addition to a strong pitch.
Kill Your Darlings pays all contributors. Our minimum standard fee is $300 for an article of 1200-1500 words.
Please note: Unfortunately publication slots are very limited, and we cannot accept all the work we would like to. We endeavour to respond to pitches within 1 month of submission, though can sometimes take longer at certain busy times of the year. If your pitch is relevant to a specific date, please let us know. You are welcome to submit to multiple publications (if you are successful elsewhere, please withdraw your submission from KYD).