Kill Your Darlings publishes regular content on our website. We publish fiction and non-fiction, and have a particular interest in writing on culture, politics and society with a personal, anecdotal approach.
Kill Your Darlings pays all its contributors.
We currently only accept submissions of NEW FICTION from KYD Subscribers. This submission policy means we can prioritise the response time to and editorial feedback for these submissions, which is important to our commitment to nurturing and supporting emerging writers.
For all non-fiction submissions, we first require a pitch – please do not send finished work. You do not need to be a subscriber to pitch your non-fiction to KYD, but we do prioritise those pitches from subscribers.
To pitch to KYD, please email email@example.com with the subject:
Pitch – Subscriber/Non-Subscriber
(Please include only the subscriber status relevant to you, with your pitch in the body of your email.)
We strongly recommend familiarising yourself with KYD prior to submitting your work. The best way to know whether your writing will fit with us is to get to know our tone and style. We can always tell when a writer doesn’t know what we’re about, so please take the time to get a sense of what we do in advance.
You can now subscribe to KYD from a little as $19.95.
Kill Your Darlings is proud to publish writers at varying stages of their careers, from new and emerging voices to established and well-known writers. We encourage writers from diverse backgrounds and at all levels of experience to pitch and submit to us.
About the award
The S.D. Harvey Short Story Award is an annual competition organised by the Australian Crime Writers Association (ACWA). It is part of the prestigious Ned Kelly Awards, celebrating the very best in Australian crime writing.
The award is named after the late writer, journalist and producer Sandra Harvey, who along with her partner in crime writing, Lindsay Simpson, blazed a trail not only for investigative, true crime writing in Australia, but also for women writers in the industry.
The winner of the 2016 S.D. Harvey Short Story Award will receive a first prize that has increased to $1000. Kill Your Darlings is proud to once again be publishing the winning entry. This year there is also a second prize of $250. All shortlisted entries will also receive a complementary 6-month membership to KYD.
The S.D. Harvey Short Story Award is open for submissions from Monday 29 May to Friday 28 July 2017.
- Entries can be submitted by published and unpublished writers and can be either fiction or nonfiction stories.
- Multiple entries are accepted.
- Submissions must be the author’s original work and previously unpublished.
- The author must be an Australian by birth or citizenship; OR the author’s principal residence must be in Australia.
- KYD members and/or ACWA members are entitled to free entry. For all others, entry is $10. To become a member of KYD, go here. To become a paid member of ACWA, go here. Conditions apply.
- Please state your membership status on cover letter.
- Stories must be between 2000 and 4000 words in length.
- The broadest definition of the crime story will be considered eligible, but should include one or more elements that are normally associated with the genre, i.e. suspense, intrigue, mystery, conflict, crime, punishment or investigation.
Please do not include your name anywhere in the story itself (such as at the start or in the header or footer) as stories will be judged anonymously.
A shortlist will be announced after judging, and shortlisted writers will be notified prior to the announcement.
The winner will be presented with his or her award at the Ned Kelly Awards ceremony.
Submissions must be received by 5pm Friday 28 July 2017 AEST. Any late entries will not be considered.
We prefer entries to be in a simple typeface such as Arial, Times, Times New Roman or Calibri; between 10 and 12 points in font size; either 1.5 or double line spaced; and paginated.
Entries must be submitted online via a submission form available once you sign into Submittable.
If there are any questions about the award, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
For any technical questions or issues about submitting short stories, please email email@example.com.