Kill Your Darlings publishes commentary, essays, memoir, reviews and interviews online, with a particular interest in writing on culture, politics and society with a personal, accessible approach.
If you’d like to pitch to KYD we strongly recommend that you read our content first to familiarise yourself with our tone and style.
Kill Your Darlings is proud to publish writers at varying stages of their careers, from new and emerging voices to established and well-known writers. We encourage writers from diverse backgrounds and at all levels of experience to pitch and submit to us. We’ve put together a list of tips on pitching to help you put your best pitch forward.
Kill Your Darlings pays all contributors. Our minimum standard pay rate is $300 for an article of 1000-1500 words, and $100 for a book review of between 400-500 words.
Active submission portals will appear below. For upcoming projects and submission dates, visit our Write For KYD page.
Please note that Submittable, where we accept pitches and submissions, is a separate platform to the KYD website, so you’ll need to create a new account here and cannot use your KYD login details.
Non-fiction submissions are now open for commentary, essays, memoir, reviews and interviews to be published online in Kill Your Darlings magazine.
What we're looking for:
- Intelligent and accessible Essay/Commentary (1000–2000 words) that analyses a cultural, political or societal issue of interest to KYD's progressive and engaged readership. Longer, investigative feature essays (2000–3000 words) will also be considered.
- Memoir or personal essay (1000–1500 words) that reflects on or tells us something broader about society, identity and/or culture.
- Smart, entertaining Cultural criticism (1000–1500 words) that illuminates or engages with works and trends in art, literature or pop culture.
- Work that doesn't quite fit within the above categories but you think would be a good fit for us!
- We always encourage feel-good or funny pitches (to give us a break from the news)!
Who we're looking for:
- Kill Your Darlings is proud to publish writers at varying stages of their careers, from new and emerging voices to established and well-known writers. We’re especially keen to hear from people from diverse and/or marginalised backgrounds, as well as writers from rural and regional areas.
- We strongly recommend becoming familiar with Kill Your Darlings' tone and style before pitching or submitting.
- Only pitches from current KYD Members will be accepted*. To become a member, visit our Shop.
- * Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander writers are invited to submit pitches without the need for a KYD Membership.
Your pitch should include a relevant biography, a short description of the proposed article, length, and why it makes a good fit for KYD. Check out our tips on pitching for more on how to craft a strong pitch. Attached files will only be considered in addition to a strong pitch.
Kill Your Darlings pays all contributors. Our minimum standard fee is $300 for an article of 1000-1500 words.
Please note: Unfortunately publication slots are very limited, and we cannot accept all the work we would like to. We endeavour to respond to pitches within 1 month of submission, though can sometimes take longer at certain busy times of the year. If your pitch is relevant to a specific date, please let us know. You are welcome to submit to multiple publications (if you are successful elsewhere, please withdraw your submission from KYD).
Now in its fourth year, the KYD School Writing Prize gives a voice to young people exploring aspects of contemporary life and society that concern them.
In 2022, we are seeking entries from students that explore the idea of ‘hope’ in Australia and the world at large.
We are looking for writing entries of between 1000 and 1500 words that responds to this theme as widely and creatively as possible in the following genres:
• Short fiction
• Personal reflections
• Memoir and biography
• Genre pieces (fantasy, sci-fi, historical, romance, crime)
Entries open: 10am AEST, Monday, 28 March 2022
Entries close: 5pm AEST, Friday, 22 July 2022
Judges: Author Rawah Arja and KYD Editor Alan Vaarwerk
Prize: $500 cash prize, publication of the winning entry, an invitation to perform at the Wheeler Centre Teen Gala for the winner PLUS a mentoring session with judge Rawah Arja.
Entry to the KYD School Writing Prize is open exclusively to KYD School Members and their students. There is no additional entry fee.
KYD School Members also have free access to two 45-minute online courses designed to assist students in writing pieces to submit to the Prize.
For full terms and conditions on the 2022 Prize, click here.
• View our School Writing Prize pdf
• Download a poster/flyer to print for your school
• Download social media tiles to share information about the prize
• Download our guide to preparing work for submission to the prize
• Download previous winners’ stories in a user-friendly pdf
• Download the full 2022 KYD School Writing Prize Submission Guidelines and Terms & Conditions
Please email email@example.com if you have any questions!