Kill Your Darlings publishes commentary, essays, memoir, reviews, interviews and fiction online, with a particular interest in writing on culture, politics and society with a personal, accessible approach.
We strongly recommend to all who submit that they read KYD to acquaint themselves with the material we publish, and to attain familiarity with our tone and style.
Kill Your Darlings is proud to publish writers at varying stages of their careers, from new and emerging voices to established and well-known writers. We encourage writers from diverse backgrounds and at all levels of experience to pitch and submit to us.
Kill Your Darlings pays all of its contributors.
KYD magazine currently only accepts unsolicited non-fiction pitches from KYD Members. This policy will allow us to increase payment to our writers, and to provide timely feedback where possible. To become a KYD Member from just $17.50, visit our Shop.
Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander writers are invited to pitch without the need for a KYD Membership.
KYD publishes a yearly collection of short fiction, New Australian Fiction. Submissions for the 2020 edition will open on 13 January 2020.
The KYD Regional Victorian Writers Program is open to writers living in regional Victoria. Submissions are now open for commentary, essays, memoir and fiction to be published online in Kill Your Darlings magazine.
KYD and Writers Victoria define regional Victorian writers as those who live more than 50km from the Melbourne GPO.
Who we're looking for:
- Kill Your Darlings is proud to publish writers at varying stages of their careers, from new and emerging voices to established and well-known writers. We encourage pitches from writers from diverse backgrounds and at all levels of experience. We're especially keen to hear from Indigenous and CALD writers.
- We strongly recommend becoming familiar with Kill Your Darlings' tone and style before pitching or submitting.
What we're looking for:
- Essay/Commentary (1000–2000 words) that analyses a cultural, political or societal issue, particularly one that readers may not understand the nuances or implications of. Longer, investigative feature essays (2000–3000 words) will also be considered.
- Memoir or personal essay (1000–1500 words) that reflects or engages with any aspect of life, identity and culture.
- Cultural criticism (1000–1500 words) that engages or illuminates a piece of culture, particularly one that has wider ramifications for society or reflects broader trends.
- Fiction (2000-4000 words) of any genre.
- Work that doesn't quite fit within the above categories but you think would be a good fit for us!
If your piece is essay/commentary, memoir, personal essay or cultural criticism, your pitch should include a relevant biography, a short description of the proposed article, length, and why it makes a good fit for KYD. (Further tips on crafting a strong pitch can be found here.) If your piece is fiction then please send us a completed piece.
Kill Your Darlings pays all of its contributors.
Please note: Unfortunately publication slots are very limited, and we cannot accept all the work we would like to. We endeavour to respond to pitches within 1 month of submission, though can sometimes take longer at certain busy times of the year. If your pitch is relevant to a specific date, please let us know. You are welcome to submit to multiple publications (if you are successful elsewhere, please withdraw your submission from KYD).
Kill Your Darlings is now accepting unsolicited submissions to our second anthology of new short fiction, due to be published in August 2020. All genres will be considered.
We strongly recommend all prospective KYD contributors acquaint themselves with the 2019 New Australian Fiction anthology and the fiction we publish more broadly to attain familiarity with our tone and style. We encourage writers from diverse backgrounds and all levels of experience to submit to this collection.
Please follow these guidelines on submission:
- Submissions should be in PDF format, size 12, double spaced, Times New Roman font.
- Stories must be between 2000–6000 words.
- Stories, or substantial portions of these stories, must be previously unpublished.
- Only one submitted story per person will be considered.
- Include a short cover letter with relevant biography (no more than 50 words).
- You must be a KYD member to be considered. Memberships start from $32.95. (Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander writers are invited to submit without the need for a KYD Membership.)
Kill Your Darlings pays all of its contributors. Successful writers will be notified in late March/early April 2020 and will be expected to undergo editing with KYD staff. Due to the expected volume of submissions, we will not be able to provide feedback on unsuccessful works.
For more information, please contact email@example.com.