Kill Your Darlings publishes commentary, essays, memoir, reviews, interviews and fiction online, with a particular interest in writing on culture, politics and society with a personal, accessible approach.
We strongly recommend to all who submit that they read KYD to acquaint themselves with the material we publish, and to attain familiarity with our tone and style.
Kill Your Darlings is proud to publish writers at varying stages of their careers, from new and emerging voices to established and well-known writers. We encourage writers from diverse backgrounds and at all levels of experience to pitch and submit to us.
Kill Your Darlings pays all of its contributors.
In 2018, KYD will only consider unsolicited fiction submissions from KYD Members. This policy enables us to prioritise the reading of work from our members and provide as much timely editorial feedback as possible.
In 2018, KYD will only accept unsolicited pitches from KYD Members. This policy will allow us to increase payment to our writers, and to provide timely feedback where possible. To become a KYD Member from just $17.50, visit our Shop.
STATE & TERRITORY SHOWCASES
In 2018 Kill Your Darlings is running a series of state and territory showcases, shining a spotlight on writers outside the south-eastern cultural centres. Special callouts for pitches and submissions for these showcases will be made throughout the year.
Fiction and non-fiction submissions are currently closed. Stay tuned to our social media and e-newsletter for details on when submissions reopen.
We strongly recommend all prospective KYD contributors acquaint themselves with the material we publish, and attain familiarity with our tone and style. We encourage writers from diverse backgrounds and at all levels of experience to pitch and submit to KYD. Kill Your Darlings pays all of its contributors.
Only submissions from active KYD Members will be accepted. To become a member from just $14.95, click here.
1. To enter you must be an Australian resident.
2. To enter you must have a current Kill Your Darlings Membership at time of submission. To subscribe from just $17.50, please click here.
3. You must be 18 years of age or over at time of submission.
4. Submissions close at 11:59pm (AEDT) Friday 2 November 2018. Entries submitted after the closing date will not be considered.
5. Entries must be submitted using the Kill Your Darlings New Critic Award Submittable portal, a link to which can be found on our website. Submitting requires a free Submittable account – this is separate from the account associated with your KYD Membership. Entries submitted by email (unless in exceptional circumstances and with express written permission from Kill Your Darlings) will not be considered.
6. Entries must comprise the following three sections:
a. Section 1: A description of your interest, knowledge and/or involvement within your proposed category, an explanation of how your work as New Critic will further critical understanding of your proposed category, and of how the Award would benefit your career as a writer and critic. (max. 400 words).
b. Section 2: Two pitches/short outlines (max. 200 words each) for suggested pieces of criticism that you would write for Kill Your Darlings in yourrole as New Critic.
c. Section 3: A one-page maximum overview of your relevant previous writing experience. This may include links to a maximum of two pieces of published writing you feel represent your tone and voice (these do not necessarily need to be works of criticism, though it is encouraged). If you have had no work published or available online, these links can also be to a PDF file of your work hosted via Dropbox or Google Drive (please ensure access is granted to view these files).
7. Entries must be submitted as one single PDF, set up as an A4 double-spaced document in 12 pt Times New Roman (or equivalent) font with 3cm margins and page numbers on each page.
8. Only one entry per person will be accepted.
9. The decision of the judges is final. The judges will not enter into any correspondence and no individual feedback will be provided to entrants.
10. By submitting your entry you agree to the Award Terms & Conditions, available here.